- Acceptable when administered intravenously
- Barbiturates injected intravenously induce rapid euthanasia.
- Barbiturates may also be administered to unconscious animals by
- Sodium pentobarbital and several pentobarbital combination drugs
may be used for euthanasia.
- Barbiturates are controlled drugs and must be used under the
supervision of personnel registered with the US Drug Enforcement
- Sodium pentobarbital is a (DEA) Schedule II drug and therefore
more difficult to obtain than the pentobarbital combinations marketed
for euthanasia that are Schedule III drugs.
- Federal requirements for record keeping and locked storage must be followed..
- May only be used as an adjunctive method to euthanize unconscious animals.