About the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
The IACUC is a standing committee at Penn State that oversees and evaluates all aspects of the University's animal care and use program. The Committee's composition and responsibilities regarding animal research are mandated by the Animal Welfare Act (Public Law 99-198).
By federal law, the IACUC, as an agent of the research facility, must:
- review the components of the animal care and use program every six months,
- inspect the animal facilities and animal study areas every six months,
- prepare and submit federal reports,
- review and investigate concerns involving animal care and use,
- make recommendations to the Institutional Official regarding any aspect of Penn State's Animal Care and Use Program, the research facilities or personnel training,
- review and approve vertebrate animal research, teaching or testing activities before they are initiated,
- review and approve modifications to previously approved animal care and use projects, and
investigate and suspend animal use in accordance with federal regulations.
If you have suggestions for IACUC-related workshop topics, please submit them on our Topic Suggestions Page.
By federal policy, the IACUC must be composed of, at a minimum, five members. Since a committee of this size would not be able to accomplish the numerous regulatory tasks that are federally required, the PSU IACUC is composed of sixteen voting members, and three alternate members.
If you are interested in serving on Penn State University's IACUC, please contact the Office for Research Protections at ORP-IACUC@psu.edu.
The membership requirement is:
- An IACUC Chairperson,
- a doctor of veterinary medicine,
- an individual not affiliated with the institution, representing the community,
- a practicing scientist experienced in animal research, and
- a member whose primary concerns are nonscientific.
Submission Deadlines and Review Timeline
The deadline for submission of IACUC new applications, renewal applications, and modification requests is every Wednesday at 5:00 p.m.Submissions are reviewed by the committee during a conference call which is conducted two Mondays after the Wednesday deadline (if PSU is closed that Monday, the call takes place on the first day that PSU opens). Due to the PSU winter closing, conference calls do not typically occur during the week directly proceeding or directly after the winter closing.
IACUC renewal submissions (for existing, approved protocols) must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the approval expiration date.
Determination of whether an application must be reviewed during a full committee meeting is made during the conference call, and if the application is deemed as such, it will be reviewed at the next full meeting. Dates of these meetings are listed below.
The IACUC will consider requests for a shorter review timeline to address unforeseen events or special research opportunities with a written request from the Principal Investigator. However, due to the volume of submissions that the committee reviews on a weekly basis, requests for a shorter review timeline should only be made in exceptional circumstances and can only be granted by the committee on a very limited basis.
If you have questions about meetings, deadlines, and/or review timelines, please contact the ORP at ORP-IACUC@psu.edu.
2017 IACUC Meetings Dates and Times
- Thursday, March 16 at 1:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 18 at 1:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 17 at 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 14 from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 12, from 2:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 16 from 2:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 20 from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 18 from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 15 from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 13 from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m.