The Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Basic Energy Sciences (BES) announces a re-competition of the Energy Frontier Research Centers (EFRC) and encourages both new and renewal applications. Applications will be required to address priority research directions identified by the series of “Basic Research Needs” reports, the scientific grand challenges identified in the report Directing Matter and Energy: Five Challenges for Science and the Imagination, and the opportunities described in the report Challenges at the Frontiers of Matter and Energy: Transformative Opportunities for Discovery Science. All of these reports are described below. Funding will be competitively awarded to the successful Energy Frontier Research Center applications selected by Federal officials, based on a rigorous merit review process as detailed in Section V of this Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA).
Internal Nomination Process:
Interested applicants should send the following documents in sequence in one PDF no later than 4:00 p.m. on the internal submission deadline:
Cover Page must include:
- Pre-application Title (this is the EFRC Name)
- Lead Principal Investigator Name, Job Title (this is the EFRC Director)
- Lead Organization
- Lead Principal Investigator Phone Number, Email Address, and CV
2 page summary to include:
- A clear and concise statement of the scientific mission of the proposed EFRC and a set of integrated four-year research goals designed to support that mission;
- A description of the research methods and approaches that will be used to achieve the goals of the EFRC;
- An explanation of the importance of the proposed research and its potential scientific impact;
- A discussion of how the proposed research is responsive to the objectives of this FOA.
- Font/size: Times New Roman (12 pt.)
- Document margins: 1.0” (top, bottom, left and right)
- Standard paper size (8 ½” x 11)