Office for Research Protections
Phone: 814-865-1775 • Fax: 814-863-8699 • ORProtections@psu.edu
The Office for Research Protections (ORP) at Penn State partners with researchers and seven University review committees to facilitate a culture of outstanding integrity, responsibility, and trust in Penn State research. This is accomplished through a shared responsibility among the ORP and the Penn State research community to ensure that research at the University is conducted in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines that protect human participants, animals, students, and personnel involved with research. The ORP also protects the integrity of research conducted at Penn State by offering education and training to faculty, staff, students, and the community; guiding and assisting researchers with management of real or perceived conflicts of interest; and supporting investigations and corrective actions related to non-compliance and misconduct.
ORP Mission Statement
The Office for Research Protections (ORP) at The Pennsylvania State University, "where research and integrity come together", originated in 1990.
- endorse a model for conducting outstanding research
- promote trust and respect among researchers, compliance committees and the community
- facilitate a partnership of shared responsibility
How we accomplish our mission:
- commit to customer service
- assist in the preparation of protocols
- prescreen all protocols
- schedule reviews
- maintain records of review proceedings for seven University compliance committees:
- Two Institutional Review Boards (IRB);
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC);
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC);
- University Isotopes Committee (UIC);
- Individual Conflict of Interest;
- Institutional Conflict of Interest.