Training on the Protection of Human Research Participants (IRB Required)
The Pennsylvania State University requires initial and continuing (every 3 years) education in the protection of human research participants for individuals involved in the conduct or oversight of human participant research. The training is offered through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative at the University of Miami (CITI).
For more information on the IRB's policy on required human research training, please see The Investigator Manual.
Social Science vs. Biomedical Research
- Select the course that best fits the type of research you are conducting; please see the list of Social Science and Biomedical modules to determine which course is most appropriate for your research
- Based on your selection, you will be required to complete multiple pre-selected modules
- In addition the pre-selected modules, you will be required to complete one (1) elective module
- Completion of CITI training is valid for three years after which time you will need to take a refresher course; when your training is close to expiration, you will receive notification from CITI
Studies Funded by Department of Navy (DON)
- Additional training requirements apply to any human participant research study that receives funding from the DON. See the Instructions on How to Access the DON Training Requirements.