Healthy, non-smoking men and women are needed for a research study examining the effects of soy protein on cardiovascular disease risk factors.
Research Study Details
Effect of Soy on HDL-C Function, Central Blood Pressure, and Arterial Stiffness
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effects of a soy protein isolate with naturally occurring isoflavones on the properties of HDL-C (total HDL-C, HDL particle size and HDL function), central blood pressure, and indices of arterial stiffness.
- We are looking for male and female participants between the ages of 35-60, and with a BMI between 18 and 39. (You can check your BMI at http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ )
- To participate, you must be generally healthy and meet the following criteria:
- No inflammatory diseases (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease)
- Not taking medication for high cholesterol, blood pressure or glucose control
- Slightly elevated blood pressure (i.e. >120/80; either greater than 120 and/or greater than 80)
- Protein supplementation will be provided for 3 periods of 6 weeks separated by a 2-week break between treatment periods.
- During each 6 week period, you will be asked to consume 2 packets each day containing varying amounts of soy protein powder.
- The total study duration including the 2 week compliance breaks is 22 weeks.
- Your exercise levels and weight should be consistent during the study. You may eat your normal foods as long as you avoid soy foods (e.g. soy milk, tofu, edamame).
- We will draw blood from you at the beginning of the study (baseline) and at the end of each 6-week intervention period
- At the end of each period, we will also perform non-invasive tests of your artery function called pulse wave analysis and pulse wave velocity.
- The compensation for this study is $150, paid to you after the last study visit.
If you are still interested in the study, the next step to determine eligibility is a telephone
Participants will report to the Diet Center at specified intervals to monitor body weight, distribute soy protein powder, and have study staff review their consumption logs. This study is being conducted by Dr. Ann Skulas-Ray and Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton at Penn State University.
Study Dates, Times and Location
Study Available by Appointment?: Yes
Location: Clinical Research Center, Noll Laboratory
Approximate Participant Study Length: 22 Weeks
There will be three 6 week supplementation periods with a 2 week washout period in between, for a total time commitment of 22 weeks.
The study can work around traveling and any other commitments with advanced notice to study staff personal.
This study has been approved by a Penn State Institutional Review Board (IRB). IRB Approval Number 44295