Checklist for Departing Researchers - Animal Subjects and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) Protocols

Any open and active IACUC/IBC protocols must be closed or transferred prior to departure. Destruction of any biohazardous materials must be approved by the Institutional Biosafety Officer. Disposition of any animals under the researcher’s care must occur in coordination with the Animal Resource Program (ARP) and ORP. Some circumstances may allow for the transfer of a protocol to another PI. In exceptional circumstances (e.g., you cannot transport your animals to your new institution until spring due to weather conditions), a protocol may remain active for a defined period of time after separation with a designated Penn State PI assigned. This must be coordinated with your Department Head, the ARP, and the ORP.

Note: At the College of Medicine, please contact the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. At all other locations, please contact the Office for Research Protections.