Tech Transfer at Penn State
Tech transfer from research at Penn State generated $22.5 million in fiscal 2015. This is partly thanks to the university's reworked approach to intellectual property, which makes it easier than ever for researchers to work with outside companies to fast-track innovations:
- Penn State will not seek to retain ownership of IP.
- Penn State will assign IP to sponsor upon request.
- Penn State has the right to publish research results.
- Penn State has the right to practice IP for research and educational purposes.
- If Penn State research results lead to exceptional commercial success, sponsor agrees to share proportionally with Penn State.
- Exceptions considered on a case-by-case basis.