Welcome to the research enterprise at Penn State! In browsing these pages you will encounter some of the most creative and technically... more
About Research at Penn State
The Office of the Vice President for Research is responsible for facilitating the $805-million-per-year research enterprise at Penn State by working with a broad range of units across the University.
Mission & Strategic Plan
The mission of the Office of the Vice President for Research is to support a rigorous program of faculty and student research and creative accomplishment by enhancing the environment for scholarly and artistic endeavors, encouraging the highest standards of quality, and fostering ethical conduct in research.
The Office is responsible for:
- the effective administration of sponsored programs which provide the financial support for a substantial share of the research activity at the University
- serving as the University's advocate and spokesperson on research issues, and as a representative in activities that may produce major new programs and facilities for research
- facilitating strong programs for interdisciplinary research
- regulatory research compliance including appropriate standards for the protection of human and animal subjects
- serving as a catalyst for economic growth and transformation through development of the Innovation Park
- sponsorship of cooperative initiatives to enhance technology utilization
- transfer of University-developed technologies for commercialization, thereby providing benefits to researchers, the University, and the citizens of the Commonwealth
- seeking to inform its internal and external constituents of research accomplishments in collaboration with the Office of University Relations and through popular reporting on faculty and student research in the magazine, Research/Penn State
Statistics, Expenditures & Reports
Reports from the Vice President for Research including the current Annual Report of Research Activity, past Annual Reports and other reports of strategic initiatives.