Personal tools
Share this page: |
Document Actions

Welcome to the Animal Resource Program

The Pennsylvania State University Animal Resource Program (ARP) provides support and veterinary care services for animals used in teaching and research at University Park.

Follow this link for information on ARP training classes.


All students, faculty, staff and visitors are expected to follow PA Department of State guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19 while working in the animal facilities. This includes maintaining appropriate social distancing and wearing masks. Visit for more information.


In addition to housing facilities and animal husbandry services for animals used in biomedical research on the University Park campus, ARP provides veterinary clinical and diagnostic services, education and training of research personnel and collaborative expertise in laboratory animal, agricultural and wildlife technology and medicine. ARP veterinarians and technicians are available to support research investigators in many areas including anesthesia, surgery, and pathology. The ARP also provides veterinary oversight of agricultural animal facilities and wildlife used in research and teaching at Penn State. The ARP does not provide support or other services for the Penn State Hershey College of Medicine.

All laboratory animal facilities on the University Park campus are managed by the ARP. In addition, ARP personnel coordinate animal purchasing and shipping, provide routine and emergency veterinary care, veterinary review of experimental protocols and health surveillance and disease prevention services. Penn State animal facilities associated with the University Park campus are accredited with the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC ). Information for new investigators on acquiring and using animals at PSU may be found on the Animal and BSL3 Facilities page.

This website does not contain information pertaining to the husbandry and management of livestock or wildlife species housed in facilities maintained by the College of Agriculture. Please refer to the Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals Used in Agricultural Research and Teaching or resources related to the Penn State College of Agriculture for information on animal species used in agricultural research.

Contact Us

101 Centralized Biological Laboratory

University Park, PA

8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday

Phone: (814) 865-1495

FAX: (814) 865-3685