The SARI @ PSU program at Penn State is designed to offer Penn State researchers and scholars comprehensive, multilevel education in the responsible conduct of research, in a way that is tailored to address the issues faced by individual disciplines.
All scholars (whether undergraduate researchers, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, research associates, or senior investigators) confront ethical issues in their professions. Each year, thousands of Penn State investigators and research teams conduct research with integrity. Unfortunately, researchers can become involved in research misconduct allegations, inquiries, and investigations. Advanced discussion of principles and possible scenarios can help inform researchers' choices when they are under pressure, hopefully eliminating poor decisions. Penn State has a unique opportunity -- and responsibility -- to address these issues in a proactive and deliberate manner.
The SARI @ PSU program is composed of two parts: an online course and an interactive, discussion-based component.
- The online course (Part 1) is offered through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiatve (CITI Program), and provides a common language and understanding of the history and principles of the responsible conduct of research (RCR). More about the required CITI component.
- The discussion-based component (Part 2) provides an opportunity for in-depth exploration of important issues unique to each field of study. Each graduate department or program establishes what can count toward this SARI requirement; for example, some departments may offer their own workshops or incorporate SARI lessons into a required course. The Office for Research Protections also offers workshops that can count toward SARI credit; please note that only two hours of the required SARI discussion-based activities can come from ORP workshops. See the SARI Workshop Schedule for upcoming events.
- SARI Workshops Schedule
- SARI Requirements
- Accessing SARI courses
- SARI Information for Faculty
- FAQs for Students and Faculty/Postdocs
- Information for Faculty and Administrators
- SARI@PSU.EDU Program Development Template Plan
- Download the SARI program description
- SARI Grants & Proposals Statements