CITI Program at Penn State
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
- Vertebrate Animal Research (IACUC)
- Human Subjects Research (IRB)
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Biosafety and Bloodborne Pathogens (IBC)
- Dual Use Research of Concern (DURC)
- Export Control
Frequently Asked Questions
We have created a tool to help you decide which CITI training you need based on your role at Penn State and the work you are doing. Find the tool here: https://www.research.psu.edu/education/citirequirements.
To verify your own training, login to CITI and follow the instructions for sharing a completion certificate (see directions in the next fequently asked question below).
To verify that others' training is complete and current, ask them to follow the instructions for sharing a completion certificate with you.
Also, if you have a study in CATS IRB, you can view the current training status of all study team members within the CATS system by navigating to the "Training Summary" page of the online study submission form.
Locating the Training Summary in CATS IRB:
- Login to CATS IRB
- Click on the "IRB" tab below the banner
- Click the "All Submissions" tab to find a list of your studies
- Click on the relevant study name to access the submission workspace.
- In the submission workspace, click on "View Study" or "Edit Study." This takes you to the online study submission form.
6. Using the dropdown menu in top navigation bar (see screenshot), find and click on "Training Summary" to view the training status of all study team members.
In CITI, you can view your completion record by clicking “View Previously Completed Coursework” from the Main Menu page under “My Learner Tools.”
This brings you to a page where you can see your score for each course you have completed, their completion dates, and their expiration dates. If you want to share this information, find the appropriate course, and then choose “View/Print” to download or print your completion record; choose “Share” to create a link to your completion record.
We will accept IRB and GCP CITI training from another institution if it has not expired. Please download your completion certificate and send it to IRB-ORP@psu.edu.
IACUC training from another institution is reviewed for acceptance on a case by case basis. Please contact IACUC-ORP@psu.edu for more information.
IACUC, IRB, and GCP trainings are valid for 3 years, whether the initial course or refresher. RCR training does not expire.
CITI Program Training expires on _____. Your organization has additional course requirements for you to complete.
If your IACUC or IRB training is about to expire, you must complete the refresher course. If your GCP training is about to expire, you must complete the full GCP course again.
We have instructions to help you find and complete the IACUC and IRB refresher courses and the GCP training.
Please follow our instructions. In the instructions, be sure to answer "Yes" for the second question, which will be either "Have you completed IACUC training at Penn State before?" or "Have you completed IRB training at Penn State before?"
No, you must complete the full course first. However, after that you can just take the refresher course every 3 years to keep your training valid.
No. However, IACUC and IRB training can be accepted in lieu of RCR training for SARI@PSU requirements.