Proposal Development Tools + Templates
SIRO offers a wide variety of online tools and templates for large-scale, interdisciplinary proposals.
2018 Penn State NSF Day | Broader Impacts and Research Resources Partner Abstracts
2018 Penn State NSF Day | Presentations
- Advice for NSF CAREER Proposal (PDF) | Ed O'Brien, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program, Proposal Writing Workshop (PDF) | Mimi McClure, NSF Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering
- Building Interdisciplinary Teams to Solve Wicked Problems (Zoom audio with transcript) | Richard Duschl (Moderator); Susan Brantley, PSU Distinguished Professor of Geosciences (Panelist); Vincent Crespi, PSU Distinguished Professor of Physics (Panelist); PSU Klaus Keller, Professor of Geosciences (Panelist); PSU Ping Li, Professor of Psychology
Additional Broader Impacts Resources
- STEM Outreach Database
- ARL Diversity Outreach Opportunities Research (D.O.O.R.) Summer Internships: A summer research program to provide science and engineering students an opportunity to conduct research with faculty and scientists at the Applied Research Laboratory/Penn State collaborative. Recruitment efforts are targeted at attracting students from HBCUs/MIs, who may have an interest in attending graduate school at Penn State.
- Eberly College of Science Broader Impacts Resource Center: The Resource Center helps Penn State faculty and graduate students plan, write and execute successful Broader Impacts (BI) activities. Though we often refer specifically to BI in the context of National Science Foundation (NSF) grants and fellowships, many of the resources can be used for any outreach purpose.
- McNair Scholars Program: A program designed to help academically talented students from traditionally underserved backgrounds prepare for doctoral study through involvement in research and scholarly activities. The program assists in the academic and professional development of undergraduates whose goals are to teach and research at the college level.
- Millennium Scholars: A program designed for high-achieving science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) students who will become leaders in their chosen fields, and are committed to increasing the diversity of professionals in STEM-related disciplines.
- Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP): An eight-week research program designed to interest talented undergraduate students from underrepresented groups in academic careers and to enhance their preparation for graduate study through intensive research experiences with faculty mentors. In addition to the research experience, the program includes professional development workshops, seminars, field trips and social activities.
- DMPTool: An easy-to-use online Web-based application that helps users create data management plans for different funding agencies, along with a public library of sample plans. DMPTool is supported by a consortium of universities, including Penn State.
- Penn State Data Commons: Enabling access and sharing of research data, big data, and metadata.
- ScholarSphere: Penn State’s Institutional repository for research and scholarly work produced by the university community, enabling the sharing of scholarly work and long-term preservation.
- MyResearch Portal: Providing researcher with real-time web-based access to administrative data associated with their sponsored research and the ability to search abstracts for other Penn State investigators.
- SciVal: A ready-to-use solution with unparalleled power and flexibility, which enables you to navigate the world of research and devise an optimal plan to drive and analyze your performance.
- NIIMBL: The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) mission is to accelerate biopharmaceutical manufacturing innovation, support the development of standards that enable more efficient and rapid manufacturing capabilities, and educate and train a world-leading biopharmaceutical manufacturing workforce, fundamentally advancing U.S. competitiveness in this industry. Penn State University is an active NIIMBL member and has the opportunity to partner with industry, academia, state and federal agencies, and nonprofit organizations to develop methods, tools and educational programs to drive efficient, effective and safe manufacturing standards and best practices. Internal project call RFPs will be accessible from this webpage as they become available.
An archive of webinars, presentations, and other learning resources prepared by subject matter experts at Penn State and external agencies:
- "Winning NIH Grants: Swimming with Sharks," Rosemarie Hunziker, PhD, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- "Development Basics and Successful NSF Proposals," Kevin Dressler, PhD, Penn State
- "Postdoctoral and Early Career Funding in the Health, Chemical, and Life Sciences," Lorraine Mulfinger, PhD, Penn State
Working with SIRO
To request SIRO support, please complete the Service Request Form.